"I accidentally ate the whole thing."

"I accidentally ate the whole thing."
A journey through food

Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Love Bites Café – Saugerties, NY


Since Shemomedjamo is about getting to know a place and its culture through its food, I thought it would be good to start off by introducing you to the food of my home town of Saugerties, New York. First off, meet Love Bites Café.

Love Bites Café is a small establishment located on Partition Street, which together with Main Street makes up the heart of the Village of Saugerties. Due to its small size and irregular hours, it is not as well known as other restaurants in town; but, it has charm and good food which have made it a favorite of mine.

Living in Philadelphia has made me a fan of brunch. Unfortunately, Saugerties is not as into that particular meal as Philadelphia. Love Bites is the exception. The menu has a large variety of breakfast and lunch dishes that are made with mostly local, often organic ingredients. Some of the options include avocado toast, zucchini fritter eggs Benedict, tofu scramble, crab cake sandwiches, and an array of salads. There are plenty of dishes for omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans alike with nothing costing more than $15.

Previously, I have enjoyed Love Bite’s sandwiches, but on my most recent visit I opted for the Spicy Breakfast Salad. Although I was intending on having a light lunch, I could not help but also order a side of the edamame hummus. The only other place I had seen edamame hummus was at Fare Restaurant, where I worked in Philadelphia. I thought it was delicious and was curious if Love Bite’s hummus was just as good.

I was not disappointed. The hummus came with sliced brioche to spread it on and, while different from the other edamame hummus I had tried, was still satisfying. While not as creamy as traditional hummus, the flavor of the edamame came through with just the right amount of acidity.

My salad was even better: baby spinach leaves tossed with spicy scrambled eggs, goat cheese, and avocado. With so many of my favorite ingredients in one salad, it is no wonder I fell in love.

The cozy and welcoming feel of Love Bites Café’s red interior walls covered with colorful artwork in addition to the well thought out and executed food offerings are what make it not only a successful café, but a perfect fit for Saugerties. Both are simple and small, but damn good.

Love Bites Café

85 Partition St
Saugerties, NY 12477

(845) 246-1795

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to all of your culinary adventures! Be safe and Bon Appetite!

    ReplyDelete